St Mary’s Curriculum Statement
Governing bodies are required to produce a curriculum statement annually. Our curriculum ensures that we meet the current aims and statutory requirements of the National Curriculum 2014.
At St Mary’s Church of England Primary School children develop a strong sense of moral purpose in addition to a respect and understanding of people who have different characteristics to themselves, whether that be age, disability, gender, race or sexuality. A rigorous, well planned curriculum, delivered by excellent staff in an ethos of care, love and support enables our pupils to be well rounded, empathetic young people who have a thirst for learning and respect for all around them.
We aim to make learning exciting and set in a purposeful context for children, which means our pupils are inspired, motivated and challenged by more meaningful and linked learning. It also allows our us freedom and ownership with regard to how we teach, as well as guaranteeing we fulfil statutory requirements in terms of coverage. Our curriculum is topic based; each topic is x-curricular and inspired by a high quality text. We encourage the children to ask questions which will inform their learning journey and our staff will work with the children to discover what they want to learn about during their topics.
Through our curriculum, we place a strong emphasis on the development of the basic skills necessary for pupils to become confident, independent learners and successful adults. Our curriculum covers English, Science, Computing, History, Geography, Music, Dance, Art, Drama, PSHE and DT, with applied maths linked in when appropriate.
Subjects taught discretely are RE, PE, MFL (Spanish), Maths and more technical aspects of the English Programme of Study: handwriting, spelling, punctuation and grammar. These aspects of literacy are taught daily in all classrooms. The rehearsal and application of basic skills learned in the core curriculum is a driver for the entire curriculum. We teach guided reading daily.
The curriculum at St Mary’s Church of England Primary School aims to:
- Inspire children to develop a love of learning.
- Embed skills to prepare children for further learning and productive adulthood.
- Take learning beyond the classroom.
- Develop children to become reflective learners who have a sense of responsibility for their own learning and development.
- Build confidence and motivation within our children.
- Grow children who understand the importance of perseverance, resilience and tolerance.
- Enable children to use their acquired skills and knowledge to observe, question and think.
- Learn to value others, their views, cultures and beliefs.
Use the menu to explore our Curriculum Maps for each year group which outline what the children are learning.